VIRGIN SHAMING

No comments
It never ceases to amaze me the reactions I get when someone asks me about the "dudes currently in my life." It's a pretty happenin' topic amongst my friends, and the first one that usually comes up during family dinners and holiday parties. Sometimes, my friends and cousins even go as far as reassuring me that's it's okay to be single, and it'll happen when the time is ripe. Okay, to start off, who ever said that the number one rule of being a freshman is to have an extensive hook-up list of somewhat correct first names and displaced nights in some type of order that somehow correlates the amount of "fun" I'm having in college?

Just because I'm a virgin does not mean a) I'm a devout believer in Christ and I'm waiting for marriage b) I never go out and have fun or c) I'm a lesbian(my personal favorite.) Sometimes, it even goes as far as virgin shaming. That's right- virgin shaming. I don't understand why people feel the need to judge others based on the amount of sexual activity they choose to engage in, or in my case, not engage in. It's none of your business, and it says nothing about the person besides his/her personal preferences. Virgin shaming, slut shaming - they're both derived from the idea of judging a person because on something like how much sex he/she has, which is stupid. Some people have more morals than others, and that's perfectly okay. Some people really enjoy sex, and that's okay too. We're all different and believe in different things, so who gets to constitute what is "normal" and what is "slutty" or "too weird?"

To wrap it up, I just wanted to say that virgin shaming is a real thing, and something I occasionally deal with, which to me is absurd, but WHATEVER. I AM WAITING ON THE RIGHT PERSON, AND I AM NOT ASHAMED OR A HERMIT (can't vouch for the latter but w/e).
 

No comments :

Post a Comment