Update + Liberty in North Korea

No comments
NOTE: I know that I have not updated this personal blog for quite some time, but I think I'm going to try to update more frequently now that things are more easygoing and less hectic in my life. Actually, that's not quite true, but I do enjoy the summer session more than I enjoy the regular semesters. Currently, I'm taking two summer classes, continuing with my shifts at the BHCHP dental clinic, shadowing, and ..not sleeping. I'll be starting my first co-op at Bicon Dental Implants at the end of June! Anyways, back to more relevant information..

---

I have been sporadically thinking about three people - complete strangers whose existence I only know of due to the internet - since May 5. Karolina, Shane, and Calvin were Heartland Nomads, a team of three individuals who set out in a van for twelve weeks to visit multiple high schools, colleges, and churches to speak about the human rights crisis in North Korea. After a tragic car accident in Lubbock, Texas, all three passed away. Without warning, only a few days before they were supposed to journey back to their respective homes and eagerly awaiting families, their lives stopped shortly after they had begun.


By that, I mean the decision that each one of them made when they decided to become a nomad. I became increasingly interested in North Korea during my genocide class last semester. I have been aware of the crisis largely due to the fact that's it's a frequently discussed topic in my South Korean family. Though we often discussed the famine and the repressive and inhumane conditions found in the prison camps in North Korea, I grew up almost indifferent to the plight of the people. In some instances, though we were linked together as Koreans, the geography of a few hundred miles marked them as the other, our far away neighbors instead of our people. I think about how 1953 was 61 years ago, and how in retrospect, that is an extremely short period of time; the consequences and effects of the Korean War linger on when we compare the state of South Korea and North Korea today.

North Koreans are subjected to strict laws that control much of the activity and information they are exposed to. They are not allowed to leave cities without permits or access outside information that indeed confirm that they are oppressed. Much of the media focuses on Kim Jong Un, Dennis Rodman, and the nuclear crisis, but there is rarely any information (excluding the UN Human Rights Report that came out a few months ago) that focuses in on the terrible conditions that North Koreans are still facing. They face extreme poverty and extreme surveillance from the government; punishments extend to three generations of the families. It boggles my mind on a daily basis how we shouted "never again" after 1945, but then, I look at Syria, Darfur, Sudan - it's everywhere.

ALL OR NOTHING

I like to think that every person has experienced this at some point - a moment when they stop to think about how certain practices and atrocities still plague our society today when the consequences of similar historical/current events stirred us, moved us, and turned us into walking regrets. The lack of action, in my opinion, is due to the fact that given this information, people decide that their only options are to completely ratify said practice or do absolutely nothing. It's impossible, even with large movements and revolutions, to completely abolish a practice like genocide, sex slavery, or even, bigotry.

When we realize that any personal contribution we make is largely insignificant, we resume the "do nothing" stance. By doing this, we are subscribing to the ideal that one person cannot cause change. Even if this may be true on the larger scale, change begins with YOU. However small you think your contribution is, the easiest step any person can take is just educating themselves about what is going on. Ignorance is a powerful weapon that facilitates atrocity; when we examine history and realize that our officials "knew" when these things were occurring, we mutter under out breaths about our outrage and blame it on the government then. Simply by becoming aware of what is going on, we can acknowledge that it is wrong and something that should not be normalized in our own society or everyday life.

 I believe that every individual can make some type of contribution - whatever you do, do not be idle. Every person can contribute to change, and though this may seem idealistic, change is attainable. We misinterpret what change is and expect radical results. However, the result will not be perfect, because nothing ever will be truly immaculate, but it's a step in the right direction. My belief is that the lack of action by others is due to three reasons:
1. The overwhelming nature of the situation, leading to inaction as a coping mechanism not to confront the issue.
2. Ignorance about the issue
3. Indifference

These three individuals were passionate, driven, and selfless enough to devote their time to raise awareness about thousands of people they have never met. They have seen them through the internet, in the same lens that I have when I view them, and they still decided that they would advocate for them.  They encompass active members of society who strive for change.


I was really touched and shaken by this picture. After I saw it, it may me feel a range of emotions, vacillating from sadness to determination to rawness. I decided to start a rescue team a few months ago at my university in order to raise awareness about the issue and also fundraise to reach the 2,500$ goal that's needed in order to save a refugee. An aspect of LiNK that I am wholeheartedly excited and passionate is that the organization focus is to rescue refugees that are displaced in China into a safe haven and provide them the option to start a productive life in the US or South Korea. 

I will leave the donation link for my rescue team here
**
Before I die, I will be productive for change every day. Karolina, Shane, and Calvin - though ou did not live to see the day that North Korea is liberated, I promise the LiNK team will continue on advocating for Liberty in North Korea.

No comments :

Post a Comment