So, why should I really floss?

No comments
50% of Americans floss on the daily. 50%!!! Flossing is JUST AS IMPORTANT AS brushing your teeth - if you leave the spaces in between your teeth full of plaque and bacteria, you're leaving your gums susceptible to inflammation and infection, which leads to gingivitis and then periodontitis. I know I joke around with my friends, stating that if you don't floss, you will get gum disease and die, but gum disease is a prevalent problem among Americans, particularly older Americans who have left their POOR GUMS OUT TO DIE.. ALSO, did you know that gum disease is linked to other health problems like diabetes, heart diseases, and respiratory illnesses? You're also losing bone when you leave your gums unattended for, which will exponentially increase your dental bills in the future.

Oh, and because of your genetics, you may be more inclined (or less inclined) to acquire periodontitis . (a dentist I know has periodontitis)



I know that spiel was largely negative reinforced, but your oral health promotes overall health. You have these teeth for the rest of your life, so if you want to keep them, take care of them. If you're taking the proactive steps to eat nutritiously, regularly exercise, then you should be keeping your oral health in check as well by brushing at least 2x per day and flossing 1x per day. I'm not so sure how I feel about mouthwash, because though it's very effective at removing plaque and keeping your breath fresh, it also wears away your enamel.

Flossing takes ~1-2 minutes per day, and brushing takes a total of 4 (2x for 2 mins) minutes. Taking around 5 minutes everyday to promote your overall health sounds like a pretty proactive step to me!

Seriously, start flossing. It may be a bit tedious in the beginning, but I promise after a few days of flossing, it will feel rewarding. I'll be posting an in depth post about oral hygiene and ways in which to maintain your oral health soon.

TILL NEXT TIME,
A Pre-Dent with a cause

No comments :

Post a Comment