THIS WEEK'S RECOMMENDATIONS

No comments
Reads (Around the Web):

1. Elliot Rodger's Eurasian status The UCSB shooter has now become infamous for being a misogynist, catalyzing discussion about feminism, gun control, and mental health in the media. One aspect of this debate that's been overlooked is Rodger's half Asian status; many of his insecurities were fueled by his inability to fit the "white" mold that he so desired, even dying his hair blonde just to be a part of his ideal form of masculinity. His manifesto is ridden with racist statements about other type of men, often attacking a man of color if he is found with a "beautiful white girl." Read more about this + excerpts from his manifesto here.

2. The Perfect Animal Friendship Okay, so I am the type of person to actively search for the best animal friendships, and I stumbled upon this trio in Georgia. They were originally found malnourished in a basement after a drug bust and now reside at Noah's Ark.  I would do anything to fourth wheel Baloo, Leo, and Shere Khan. Read more + view the heartwarming photos here.

3. India's Invisible Addicts Very good precursor to an ongoing epidemic of homeless children  in the back alleys of New Delhi engaging in drug use. Read more here.

4. Up to Speed: What you need to know about the Thai coup I haven't been able to fully read up on this, but here's a quick recap

5. Yes, you can get your favorite Instagram pictures printed on your shoes. Adidas announced that it will be introducing a new app to get your mobile upload as a customized shoe design? Nike will be introducing this in August? Thoughts? I'm not sure how I feel about this - by that, is it socially unacceptable to get Pancake (my cat)'s on a pair of kicks?

This isn't recent per se, but a good read on breaking the bystander mold written by my genocide professor.


Music: 

TOP Recommendation: Kishi Bashi's Lighght
I love Kishi Bashi. I love the fact that he's a classically trained violinist, and I love that you can tell throughout his tunes that blend his artistry with crisp soundscapes that are induced with pop. I love it all, and I especially love the track Q & A for all of it's cliche lyricism and feel goodness.

Wye Oak's Shriek, Hospitality's Trouble, SZA's Z, Cut Off Your Hands - Happy As Can Be (Track)


Books/Films:
Nothing for this week. Will be writing a review of Moonwalking with Einstein sometime next week.


Till next time,
YJ 

No comments :

Post a Comment