MUSIC FEATURE: SAM SMITH

No comments
Disclaimer: I am a completely biased Sam Smith fan in the regard that yes, I am a lovestruck fangirl obsessed with the up-and-coming, twenty-two year old soul/pop singer from the UK.
SAM SMITH - IN THE LONELY HOUR (3.8/5.0)
Sam Smith's album, In the Lonely Hour, will be released in the US in a few days. However, you can listen to it on NPR First Listen RIGHT NOW. With that being said, I have been hooked onto this album for a week now. Beginning with his hit single, Money on My Mind, Smith uses his strong, soulful vocals to declare that he "[does] it for the love" above everything else. This message is similar to Price Tag's, the hit single from fellow Brit Jessie J. Building off the money<love message, in Leave Your Lover, he croons that he doesn't "[he] doesn't care for gold, what use is money when you need someone to hold?"

The theme of this album focuses on the unrequited nature of love, from not being able to obtain it because the person you're in love with is unavailable to the inability to find love yourself. I was not surprised by the theme because of Smith's comment stating that this album revolved around his personal struggle of falling in love with a dude who didn't love him back, but I was pleasantly surprised by the overall tone of this album. From his features in Disclosure's Latch to La La La, I was expecting it to be more upbeat and heavy with vocal tweaking.

Some of the lyrics get a bit lazy throughout the album, but the choruses are generally nice and put together. There weren't many vocal embellishments that triggered any grievances besides the siren wailings in the first track.

Money on My Mind is my least favorite track on the album; it's heavy on voice alteration that doesn't suit Smith's natural voice - by that, why does his voice sound like a siren? The other songs are A+ beautiful, ending with Lay Me Down, my favorite track from his EP. I would say this version of the song is a pretty balanced mix between the origin and the acoustic versions found on his EP. Also, my favorite track from this album is Not in That Way.


WILL LOVE BE MUTUAL FOR SMITH? Maybe in his next album. On a more personal note, I feel like a broken person when I listen to this album, being fully able to grasp his lyrics and the milieu set off by his voice. I'm very excited to hear what his future albums will sound like, though I am very please with his debut.

No comments :

Post a Comment